For me, it takes a lot of time, effort and perseverance to lose weight. Not because I’m not motivated, but because I’m not just looking to lower my weight temporarily. I don’t want a quick fix. I want to change my eating-habits, make them healthier so I know I’m taking proper care of myself and my body.
So, to give myself a break every once in a while I decided that I’m allowed to have a nice muffin or other delicious snack in the weekend. But eating a muffin filled with sugar and butter isn’t going to make me feel good about myself. So instead, I made myself these delicious muffins. They’re healthy, using olive oil and honey, and very tasty with the strawberries and chocolate in them. A very nice treat I don’t feel guilty eating!
Adapted from: Smulweb (a Dutch recipe website)
Makes: about 14 muffins
- 150 gram whole-wheat flour
- 125 gram rolled oats
- 12 gram baking powder
- 75 gram dark chocolate (broken into little pieces)
- 235 ml milk
- 60 ml honey
- 30 ml olive oil
- 2 egg whites
- Handful strawberries (sliced in quarters)
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/430°F and put the paper cases in a muffin tray.
- Mix all the dry ingredients (including the chocolate) in a bowl.
- Add the olive oil, milk, egg whites and strawberries and mix. If the mixture is a bit dry, add a bit more milk.
- Fill the paper cases about 2/3 with the batter and bake in the oven for about 17 minutes and then transfer the muffins to a wire rack to cool.