6/17/12

Rolled oats, dark chocolate and strawberry muffins



The process of losing weight is never fun. Of course, when you get on the scale at the end of the week and see the progress you’ve made there is this moment of glee and happiness. But when you’re at a friend’s place and have to say no to cookies, snacks and have to think of cooking and eating healthy every single day it gets tiring and frustrating.

For me, it takes a lot of time, effort and perseverance to lose weight. Not because I’m not motivated, but because I’m not just looking to lower my weight temporarily. I don’t want a quick fix. I want to change my eating-habits, make them healthier so I know I’m taking proper care of myself and my body.

So, to give myself a break every once in a while I decided that I’m allowed to have a nice muffin or other delicious snack in the weekend. But eating a muffin filled with sugar and butter isn’t going to make me feel good about myself. So instead, I made myself these delicious muffins. They’re healthy, using olive oil and honey, and very tasty with the strawberries and chocolate in them. A very nice treat I don’t feel guilty eating!

Rolled oats, dark chocolate and strawberry muffins
Adapted from: Smulweb (a Dutch recipe website)
Makes: about 14 muffins

Ingredients

  • 150 gram whole-wheat flour
  • 125 gram rolled oats
  • 12 gram baking powder
  • 75 gram dark chocolate (broken into little pieces)
  • 235 ml milk
  • 60 ml honey
  • 30 ml olive oil
  • 2 egg whites
  • Handful strawberries (sliced in quarters)
  • Pinch of salt

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/430°F and put the paper cases in a muffin tray.
  2. Mix all the dry ingredients (including the chocolate) in a bowl.
  3. Add the olive oil, milk, egg whites and strawberries and mix. If the mixture is a bit dry, add a bit more milk.
  4. Fill the paper cases about 2/3 with the batter and bake in the oven for about 17 minutes and then transfer the muffins to a wire rack to cool.

~ Enjoy!