7/8/12

Chocolate chip cupcakes with caramel and coffee frosting



So a week ago I had a bit party here at my house! Not only did I graduate and got my Bachelor’s degree, my birthday is also coming up~ yay! But since my birthday is the 9th of July most friends I want to invite to my party are long gone on holiday by then. So, I threw a birthday/graduation party at the end of June and we had a blast! I did a barbeque and – of course – there were cupcakes, because you can’t have a party without cupcakes!

These cupcakes were a real hit with my friends! Everyone especially liked the frosting, which made me feel so happy because it was a bit of an experiment. But they are right. These cupcakes are delicious! I love these chocolate chip cupcakes, with the right amount of chocolate chips in them so that they don’t overpower the cupcake but still leave so much chocolate to enjoy. The frosting is delicious, too. Not overly sweet and with a good taste of caramel with just hints of coffee that add a bit of depth to the frosting. All in all, a success that I’m proud to share with all of you!


Chocolate chip cupcakes with caramel and coffee frosting
Adapted from: The cupcakes are adapted from The Cupcake, published by Love Food (page 144)  and the frosting is slightly adapted from Glorious Treats.
Makes: About 20 to 22 cupcakes

Ingredients
Cupcakes

  • 200 gram self-raising flour
  • 200 gram soft butter
  • 200 gram caster sugar
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 200 gram chocolate chips (I used plain ones)

Frosting

  • 500 gram powdered sugar
  • 226 gram cream cheese
  • 113 gram butter
  • 4 tablespoons caramel sauce
  • 3 tablespoons cold coffee

Directions
Cupcakes

  1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F and put the paper cases in a tray (I did them 12 at the time since my oven won’t fit 2 muffin trays).
  2. Sift the flour into a large bowl. Then add the butter, sugar and the eggs and whisk/beat until the mixture is smooth. Add the chocolate chips and mix them with the batter.
  3. Fill the paper cases with the mixture and bake the cupcakes in 20 to 25 minutes. They’re done when they’re firm to the touch and golden.
  4. Transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack and leave them to cool. They should be entirely cooled down before you frost them.


Frosting

  1. In a large bowl, lightly beat the butter.
  2. Add the cream cheese and mix with the better for about a minute.
  3. Add the powdered sugar, caramel sauce and coffee and stir through the butter and cream cheese mixture with a spoon. When it’s mixed a bit, beat with a hand mixer for about 1 minute.
  4. Put the frosting into the ‘fridge to cool, about half an hour. I do this, so that when I pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes I have a firm frosting instead of one that’s ready to melt away. After frosting the cupcakes, I store them in a box in the ‘fridge, again, so the frosting won’t get runny.

~ Enjoy!